Live Training Schedule:
April 19, 2021 Monday
3:00PM to 6:00PM Singapore/Manila
*This is an online training via Zoom organized by Writing Hacks Academy
- Learn how to gather ideas for your story
- Create memorable characters
- Understand the process of outlining your plot
- Practice the art of “Show, Don’t Tell Writing Style”
The event is highly recommended for adults ages 20 and above who are interested to write a short story. Experience in the story writing process is not required among the participants.
Lessons to be presented are tailor-fit to cater to the needs of aspiring fictionists. Participants who currently work on their stories are encouraged to bring a copy of their Work-In-Progress (WIP) for the writing critiques.
I. Introduction to Fiction Wring
Define Fiction Writing, the elements that make up a fiction story, and provide a brief background on outlining.
II. How to Generate Your Ideas for Your First Fiction Story
Understand where you can gather ideas for your first story.
- Recreating the ending of your favorite story
- People watching
- Drawing from your experiences, then add some flavors to it
- A retelling of your favorite story
- Writing prompts
III. How to Create Memorable Characters
Acquire the techniques on how to craft characters that your readers won’t surely forget.
- Character Interviews
- Naming Characters
- Describing Characters
IV. Introducing the Art of Show, Don’t Tell Writing Style
Understand the importance of showing what’s happening in your story instead of simply saying it to your readers.
- Show vs. Telling
- Paint A Picture: Using powerful verbs to create an image in the reader’s mind
- Ways on how to pump up your Show, Don’t Tell Writing Style
LIZ PALOMAR | FICTION WRITING TRAINER
Freelance Writer, Editor, and Research Assistant (December 2016 – Present)
- Offers writing, and editing services on online platforms
- Offers writing lessons and tutorials
- Offers copywriting services (E-book as a lead magnet and Email Marketing)
- Served a research assistant for MA Students
- Served as grammar and research consultant for undergraduate and postgraduate students
Senior Content Analyst (Content Editor III)
Reed Elsevier Philippines (10/5/2015 - Present)
- Appointed as one of the two Continuous Improvement POCs for the Global Editorial Operations to support the continuous improvement initiatives of the Primary Law Operations.
- Facilitates the certification process for the new Content Analyst
- Handles onboarding of the new editors
- Subject Matter Expert for the Advanced Conversion and Content Enrichment team
- Third Young Elite Writers' Circle - Poetry Writing Contest (2/9/2019), Polytechnic University of the Philippines
- Fiction Writing Seminar (10/11/2018), Makati High School
- Editor-in-Chief: Writing in Editorial Article and Being an Editor (03/01/2018), Polytechnic University of the Philippines
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certified (August 2018)
- Third Place - Kwentong Pambata 9th Saranggola Blog Awards (December 2018)
- Reed Elsevier Leadership Academy (August 2017)
· Polytechnic University of the Philippines, Bachelor of Arts in English
1. Do you provide refunds?
Please email us firstname.lastname@example.org at least five business days before the training date to receive a full refund in case of cancellation.
In case you can't attend the live training, you have an option to send a representative on your behalf or request a copy of the PDF handouts / PowerPoint presentation.
2. Will the training be recorded? May I request a copy of the PowerPoint or video recording?
We will not record the training.
3. May I ask for an official receipt?
Yes. Please email email@example.com for your request.
4. What makes this training different from self-paced online courses on websites like Coursera or Udemy?
This is a live virtual class delivered via Zoom where you can ask questions.